Introduction to Sprint Canoe and Kayak (7-10 years)
This program introduces young paddlers to the sport, Olympic sprint canoe and kayak, in a fun, safe, and team oriented environment. Our NCCP trained coaches will be teaching the basics of water safety, stroke technique, coordination, and balance in a variety of boats, while engaging the paddlers in a lot of fun games and team focused activities. The focus here is on developing fundamental movement skills and engaging in developmentally appropriate sport and physical activity.
- have a positive attitude and willingness to focus, listen and learn! 🙂
- have an interest in paddling!
- be willing to participate in group warmups, workouts, and activities on the water and off
- Note: new paddlers who are older than 10 years old may briefly start off with this group to acquire balance and fundamental skills before joining another group.
- enjoy sport and demonstrate sportsmanship and teamwork
- have great listening skills, build self-confidence
- FUNdamental boat skills – canoe/kayak skills, balance and boat control
- Develop the skills and focus needed for the next stage of development, Level 2
- Entry-level regattas at coach’s discretion – Paddlers will be encouraged to develop their fundamental skills and focus on the water so that they can participate in entry-level regattas.
Spring/Summer Program (April – Sept 2018)
- Practice Schedule:
- April – June – Wed and Fri @ 4:30-6:30pm, Sat @ 11am-12:30pm
- July – August – M-F 9-4pm – practices will run camp-style over the summer
- Note: camp will end early at noon on July 13th and Aug 10th so athletes and coaches can head to Kamloops / Nanaimo for weekend regattas.
- Sept – TBD
- April 21 – BC Cup #1 Regatta – Burnaby Lake
- July 14-15 – BC Cup #2 Regatta – Shumway Lake, Kamloops
- July 28 – Ridge Invitational Regatta – Whonnock Lake, Maple Ridge
- Aug 11-12 – BC Cup #3 Regatta – Long Lake, Nanaimo
- Sept 8-9 – Pacific Cup Regatta – Whonnock Lake, Maple Ridge
- See schedule below for all practice times and events
- Import to your Google Calendar using address: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/huarbf29rimn90di9fdhs5b4io%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
- Or view in any browser via: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=huarbf29rimn90di9fdhs5b4io%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FVancouver