Introduction to OC-1: An introduction to solo outrigger paddling
This course is for new paddlers 18 years or older with no or very little solo outrigger experience but wanting to get on the water to learn the basics in a fun and supportive small group environment. Paddlers will be provided with all necessary equipment and a qualified coach for all sessions.
Exceptions may be able to be made for individuals 15-18 years-old to participate if appropriate instructors are available. Please contact us at least one week before the course begins to see if this is possible.
This course is held once a week for three weeks. Please see the dates and times below.
Upon completion of this course, paddlers will have learned basic paddling techniques plus maneuvering and steering. They will know proper equipment handling and safety procedures and understand what to wear and bring with them for paddling. They will then be able to use club canoes, providing they have a club membership.
- 1st day of class will include an orientation and a Huli (Capsize) Drill, so bring a change of clothes for afterwards.
- Basic paddle techniques
- Gear – Selecting a Paddle and PFD which suits you best, and understand how to properly adjust the PFD. As well as learning the best type of clothing materials to wear during your paddle sessions.
- Equipment care
- Saturdays @12:30 PM – 2:00 PM, May 22, 29 and June 5th
- Coach: TBA
A Course that has less than four registrants one week prior to the start date may not run or may be changed to another time slot to accommodate more participants.
1.5 hours (including equipment removal and return)
Club members: $96 + GST
Non-club members: $120 + GST
Click here to register
Club Refund Policy
Participation in Clinics and Courses:
It is up to the participant to ensure they have the prerequisite abilities for a course. In order to serve all course participants, if a participant’s abilities are not suited to the course in which he/she/they is registered, the participant will be moved into a suitable course in which there is space. There will be no refunds in this situation.
Clinic and Course Instructors:
A course instructor may change between sessions for a given course due to instructor availability.
Cancellation Policy for Clinics and Courses:
- Cancel more than two weeks before clinic or course start date: receive a 75% refund or a credit for the same clinic or course at another time within the same calendar year.
- Cancel less than two weeks before clinic or course start date: sorry no refund
- In case of any full courses postponed due to force majeure, public health orders, or any other situations out of False Creek Racing Canoe Club’s control, a full credit will be given for the same clinic or course at another time. Alternatively, a 50% refund can be requested in writing within 30 days of the postponement.
- In case of any sessions within a course being cancelled due to force majeure, public health orders, or any other situations out of False Creek Racing Canoe Club’s control, the session(s) will be rescheduled.
- A course that has not reached minimum enrolment five days before the start of the course will be cancelled and registrants will be notified by email. Registrants will be offered a full refund or to take the course at another time.