*NEW* Adult Introduction to Flatwater – Level 1 – (Aug-Sept) – this course is now full
This 2-month program introduces paddlers (20+ years and older) to the fundamentals of sprint canoe and kayak paddling. Paddlers will have the opportunity to learn the basics of balance, stroke technique, and boat control in a friendly learning environment, with the goal of being able to balance and paddle with confidence without falling in upon course completion. Level 1 allows paddlers to develop the required balance and boat skills in order to work on the next phase of stroke refinement as will be introduced in the Level 2 course.
Goals for the course include:
- Equipment care and handling
- Acquiring fundamental balance
- Learning proper paddling positioning
- Learning basic boat control
- Learning stroke foundations
- Paddling outside of Alder Bay in a sprint boat
- Improved paddling fitness
- Complete your first mini-regatta!
- Must be a full member of the FCRCC club. Please see Individual Membership for details on getting your membership.
- Previous paddling experience is not required
Coach: The program will be coached by Diane Tam (comp dev NCCP level 3 certified, and head coach of the youth sprint program).
Dates and Practice Times:
15 sessions – 2x / week throughout Aug and Sept – starting Aug 9th
(August 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, Sept 2, 9, 13, 16, 20, 23, 27 – plus an Alder Bay mini-regatta TBD)
- Sun 10am-noon
- Wed 6:15-7:45pm
Program capacity: 8 paddlers
To register click here: Adult flatwater registration link
Learn more here: https://fcrcc.com/sprint-canoe-kayak/adult-paddling/