OC-1 Intermediate: Continuing to build skills
This course is for intermediate paddlers including those who have successfully completed the OC-1 Training and Foundational Technique course. This is the ideal course for those who started paddling OC-1 in the fall and have yet to receive much coaching and wish to improve their paddle technique, efficiency and boat speed. Paddlers should have their own equipment (paddle and PFD). Canoes are provided.
This course is held once a week for six weeks. Please see the dates and times below.
Paddlers will build upon their stroke technique and body mechanics to promote greater confidence, faster boat speed and greater efficiency.
- Building on stroke technique, body mechanics and learning how to feel for what your boat is doing and what your impact is on the boat run.
- How to read tides, weather and wind charts, and how to use them to your advantage during training sessions and time trials
- Basic race strategies and turns.
- Must have enough experience in OC-1 to be comfortable and able to paddle with some effort for 30 minutes non-stop.
- Successful completion of the OC-1 Training and Foundational Technique course fulfills the ability requirement for this course, but is not a pre-requisite.
- Can do a successful Huli (capsize) recovery. Club members must have completed the club’s OC-1 orientation or our Introduction to OC-1 course. Non-members must bring video proof of a successful huli recovery to the first session or do one at end of the first class. Instruction on huli recovery is not part of this class.
- Saturdays @ 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM, April 10, 17, 24, May 1, 8 & 15
- Coach: Leah Nagano
A course that has less than four registrants one week prior to the start date may not run or may be changed to another time slot to accommodate more participants.
1.5 hours (including equipment removal and return).
On-water instruction will start 15 minutes after the scheduled start time. If you are coming with your own canoe please meet at the Alder Bay dock for these starting times. Please wait on the water as dock space is limited.
Club Members: $190 + GST
Non-Club Members: $250 + GST
BRINGING YOUR OWN CANOE?
Coming with your own canoe? Enter coupon code “owncanoe” at checkout for a $20 discount. This discount is only available at the time of registration.
Click here to register
In the case of a cancellation due to COVID restrictions an attempt will be made to reschedule the class(es). If this cannot be accomplished, a refund of $25/cancelled class ($21 for those with owncanoe discount) will be issued.