OC-1 Training and Foundational Technique
This course is for paddlers who have had a taste, on their own or through our Introduction to OC-1 course, and now want to learn more about this awesome COVID-friendly sport. Paddlers will be provided with all necessary equipment and a qualified coach for all sessions.
Some prior experience in OC-1 is necessary. For brand new paddlers, our Introduction to OC-1 course is a good pre-cursor to this one.
This course is held once a week for six weeks. Please see the dates and times below.
Upon completion of this course, paddlers will have built upon the paddle strokes and body mechanics learned in the Introduction to OC-1 course. They will have a greater sense of competence in both paddling and how to train.
- Learn tips and tricks from an experienced coach on paddle technique of each part of the stroke (catch, pull, exit) and body mechanics to become a faster, more confident and efficient paddler.
- Gear – Selecting a Paddle, PFD and clothes that suit you best for paddling.
- Equipment care
- Learn the rules of the ‘road’ aka water
- Water safety
- Must have completed the Introduction to OC-1 Course or have some similar experience.
- Can do a successful Huli (capsize) recovery. Club members must have completed the club’s OC-1 orientation or our Introduction to OC-1 course. Non-members must bring video proof of a successful huli recovery to the first session or do one at end of the first class. Instruction on huli recovery is not part of this class. You will be supervised for safety, though, as hulis do happen!
- Able to paddle 15 minutes continuously.
- If you can complete 5 km in faster than 38 minutes and have a basic understanding of technique, please proceed to the intermediate course instead.
- If you do not know the best course for you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance.
May 18th to June 22, 2021 6:00pm to 7:30 pm
A course that has less than four registrants one week prior to the start date may not run or may be changed to another time slot to accommodate more participants.
1.5 hours (including equipment removal and return)
Club Members: $190 + GST
Non-Club Members: $250 + GST
Click here to register
Club Refund Policy
Participation in Clinics and Courses:
It is up to the participant to ensure they have the prerequisite abilities for a course. In order to serve all course participants, if a participant’s abilities are not suited to the course in which he/she/they is registered, the participant will be moved into a suitable course in which there is space. There will be no refunds in this situation.
Clinic and Course Instructors:
A course instructor may change between sessions for a given course due to instructor availability.
Cancellation Policy for Clinics and Courses:
- Cancel more than two weeks before clinic or course start date: receive a 75% refund or a credit for the same clinic or course at another time within the same calendar year.
- Cancel less than two weeks before clinic or course start date: sorry no refund
- In case of any full courses postponed due to force majeure, public health orders, or any other situations out of False Creek Racing Canoe Club’s control, a full credit will be given for the same clinic or course at another time. Alternatively, a 50% refund can be requested in writing within 30 days of the postponement.
- In case of any sessions within a course being cancelled due to force majeure, public health orders, or any other situations out of False Creek Racing Canoe Club’s control, the session(s) will be rescheduled.
- A course that has not reached minimum enrolment five days before the start of the course will be cancelled and registrants will be notified by email. Registrants will be offered a full refund or to take the course at another time.