For kids aged 15 and up (kids who were 15 years old or older on Jan 1st, 2023)
please register for our Intro to Paddling – Fundamentals and Foundations program to acquire initial skills and balance.
This program will focus on developing advanced canoe and kayak skills, competitive development and refining skills under race conditions, building strength, speed and endurance, and effective goal setting. Paddlers are expected to attend both on-water and off-water practices, as well as train on their own according to a provided training schedule. Athletes are also expected to attend the majority of regattas throughout the racing season as defined during the pre-season’s goal setting period with the coaches.
- have a positive attitude and willingness to learn, ask questions, and improve
- willingness to participate in a variety of training (both coached and un-coached)
- intermediate boat skills (comfortable doing long workouts outside of Alder Bay)
- enjoy sport and demonstrate sportsmanship and teamwork
- proactive in learning more about the sport, goal-setting, and assessing training and competition
- advanced boat skills – canoe/kayak skills, balance and boat control, wash riding
- aerobic capacity, endurance, strength, speed – paddlers at this level will be given a weekly training program
- race planning
- effective goal setting
- develop healthy nutritional habits and time management skills
- a variety of regattas
- prep for National-level / International regattas (e.g., Canadian Championships, Olympic Hopes)
- Program will be distributed to athletes each week (~8-10 trainings/week)