Adult Introduction to Flatwater and Surfski – Level 1 (Beginner program)
For those who have never tried sprint paddling before, OR, have tried sprint paddling just a few times before.
This program introduces paddlers (20+ years and older) to the fundamentals of sprint canoe and kayak paddling. Paddlers will have the opportunity to learn the basics of balance, stroke technique, and boat control in a friendly learning environment, with the goal of being able to balance and paddle with confidence without falling in upon course completion. Level 1 allows paddlers to develop the required balance and boat maneuvering skills in order to work on the next phase of stroke refinement as will be introduced in the Level 2 course (below).
Another group in this program is to learn how to paddle in a surfski. This program will introduce paddlers to surfski fundamentals and paddling, including equipment care and boat recovery/remount.
Goals for the course include
- Equipment care and handling
- Acquiring fundamental balance
- Learning proper paddling positioning
- Learning basic boat control
- Learning stroke foundations
- Paddling outside of Alder Bay in a sprint boat
- Improved paddling fitness
- How to recover from capsize
- Basic paddling strokes, navigational
- How to choose a wing blade paddle, proper grip
- How to enter and exit from the dock,
- How to care for club equipment
- Improving stroke technique
- Being comfortable paddling in rough water
- Effect of wind, weather, tides boat traffic in False Creek. How to confidently paddle in these conditions.
- Basic paddling safety
- Review of club equipment handling
- [Optional] Be a full member of the FCRCC club to gain access to membership benefits. Please see Individual Membership for details on getting your membership.
- Non-members: please pay the non-club member fee.
- Previous paddling experience is not required
Dates and Practice Times
10-week program – July 10 – September 10, 2022 (includes Pacific Cup regatta)
Sundays @ 11:30am to 12:45pm
- Club Member – $280 (gst included), Non-Club Member – $320.00 (gst included) – cost includes Pacific Cup regatta
- CKBC membership insurance included
To register click here
- Club Member: https://campscui.active.com/orgs/FalseCreekRacingCanoeClub?season=2867807&session=56114042
- Non-Club Member: https://campscui.active.com/orgs/FalseCreekRacingCanoeClub?season=2867807&session=56114142
Things to Bring to Practice
- Paddling shoes/sandals for walking around from boat shed to the dock
- Paddling clothes appropriate for the weather
- Additional clothes for changing into afterwards
- A towel
- Water bottle
- Your own PFD (or you can borrow one to use from the club)
- Please try and arrive 10 min prior to practice time ready to go in your paddling gear so that we can start right on time.
- Please meet on the grass area outside of the canoe/kayak shed.