OC-1 Training and Foundational Technique
This course is for paddlers who have had a taste, on their own or through our Introduction to OC-1 course, and now want to learn more about this awesome COVID-friendly sport. Paddlers will be provided with all necessary equipment and a qualified coach for all sessions.
Some prior experience in OC-1 is necessary. For brand new paddlers, our Introduction to OC-1 course is a good pre-cursor to this one.
This course is held once a week for six weeks. Please see the dates and times below.
Upon completion of this course, paddlers will have built upon the paddle strokes and body mechanics learned in the Introduction to OC-1 course. They will have a greater sense of competence in both paddling and how to train.
- Learn tips and tricks from an experienced coach on paddle technique of each part of the stroke (catch, pull, exit) and body mechanics to become a faster, more confident and efficient paddler.
- Gear – Selecting a Paddle, PFD and clothes that suit you best for paddling.
- Equipment care
- Learn the rules of the ‘road’ aka water
- Water safety
- Must have completed the Introduction to OC-1 Course or have some similar experience.
- Can do a successful Huli (capsize) recovery. Club members must have completed the club’s OC-1 orientation or our Introduction to OC-1 course. Non-members must bring video proof of a successful huli recovery to the first session or do one at end of the first class. Instruction on huli recovery is not part of this class. You will be supervised for safety, though, as hulis do happen!
- Able to paddle 15 minutes continuously.
- If you can complete 5 km in faster than 38 minutes and have a basic understanding of technique, please proceed to the intermediate course instead.
- If you do not know the best course for you, please email email@example.com for guidance.
- Sundays @ 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM, May 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 & June 6
- Coach: Nora Chun
A course that has less than four registrants one week prior to the start date may not run or may be changed to another time slot to accommodate more participants.
1.5 hours (including equipment removal and return)
Club Members: $190 + GST
Non-Club Members: $250 + GST
Click here to register for Sundays – May 2nd to June 6th
In the case of a cancellation due to COVID restrictions, an attempt will be made to reschedule the class(es). If this cannot be accomplished, a refund of $25/cancelled class will be issued