Our paddling camps are a great way to introduce kids to multiple paddling disciplines (dragon boat, marathon canoe, sprint canoe and kayak) paddling in a fun and safe environment. The camps are taught by our NCCP Certified coaches, and consist of a lot of fun games and activities both on the water and off. They are a great way for kids to meet other kids in the community, learn about teamwork, grow in self-confidence, and most of all…have fun!
Mar 20, 2023 – Mar 24, 2023
9am – 3pm
What you will learn
The camp will consist of a dry land component involving games and developing fundamental movement skills, as well as a paddling component where kids will learn the foundations of paddling in a variety of boats (dragon boat, marathon canoe, sprint canoe and kayak).
No experience required, but due to the colder weather temperatures, please ensure you are registering kids who do not mind being outdoors in the cold and on the water during this time of year! We are an outdoor sport so most of our time will be spent outdoors, rain or shine.
8+ years of age
$300+gst Spring break flash sale!
16 kids (first come first serve)
Use this registration link to register for our Spring Camp
(Select ‘Recreational Camps‘ under Youth – Flatwater from the filters to see our other camps)
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the camp located? (Signing in / signing out)
We are located just behind the False Creek Community Center (please see attached map of the area). At the start of every day, please sign in your kid(s) with the instructor in charge of attendance right by the wooden benches. In case you are running late, the kids will likely be starting off the day with a land game/activity on the grass area near the benches. Please find us there and sign in with one of the instructors.
At the end of each camp day, when you pick up your kids, please make sure you have signed them out with the instructor in charge of sign outs. We just want to make sure all the kids are accounted for. We understand that some kids may be getting to and from the camps on their own so please let us know if that is the case so we know.
Note: Please also let us know if you will be missing any days / need to leave early, etc. so we know.
What should I bring to the camp?
Here is a suggested list of items to bring (please label all your items with your name!):
- cold weather gear (hat, gloves, warm jacket, wool socks, etc.)
- running shoes (in case they do some running on the grass, safer than running in flip flops)
- paddling shoes / sandals
- clothes to paddle in (e.g., wetsuit, athletic wear – shirts/shorts). There is definitely a chance that the kids will get wet so something that is quick drying is recommended as opposed to cotton.
- extra extra clothes to change into afterwards / during breaks if needed
- jacket / rain gear – weather dependent
- lifejacket (optional) – All kids will be required to wear lifejackets. We have a lot of lifejackets at the club but if you have your own, you are welcome to bring it. Please label it with your kid’s name.
- a towel
- food – a packed lunch, snacks
- water bottle
What facilities are nearby?
- We have access to the washrooms, change rooms and showers located inside the False Creek Community Centre
- For lunch, we’ll either be eating under the picnic pavilion (near the water park), a rented room (inside the Carousel Theatre or False Creek Community Centre) or simply outside on the grass if it’s a super sunny and nice day!
How much time is spent on the water?
We typically aim for 2 main water sessions, and land games and activities throughout the day to mix things up.
What sort of fun do you do at the camps?
We play tons of games! In fact, everything we do has some sort of game element to it so that the kids have fun. So for example, we may teach them a new paddling technique, and then they have to apply that skill in a game of canoe tag or simon says or something. Our land games are all games that kids may have played before like Octopus, or even variations of soccer, etc. We may even play in the water park (summer time) or playground if there is time.
What is your cancellation policy?
Our cancellation policy is:
- 90% refund of the registration fee if cancelling at least 30 days before the camp week to cover admin fees.
- less than 30 days is a 75% refund
- less than 14 days, it’s 50%.
- less than 7 days would be 0%.