Join the FCRCC Youth Sprint team! These programs run year long (split into Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter sessions) and are for those who want to learn more advanced paddling skills and try out racing. These racing programs also include summer camp options for the younger age groups!
Junior Racing Development – Training to Train (U14, U15) (*ages ~13-15)
Junior Performance – Training to Compete (U16+) (*ages ~16+)
(see Registration Steps below)
Our Fall/Winter program is geared towards developing paddling skills and improving overall strength and fitness through various cross-training activities in preparation for the upcoming Spring/Summer racing season.
Our Spring/Summer program continues to build fitness and paddling skills (in singles and teamboats) and the athletes compete in a variety of races (locally, provincially and nationally). Summer programs also include the summer camp options for the younger age groups.
Note: Program Ages here are used as a guideline to represent typical athlete pathway in this sport but is not strict. In the end, coaches will put athletes in training groups most appropriate to their current skill level where they will learn the most and build from there.
We encourage you to come out to try out 1 program session for free to learn all about our sport before committing!
Before coming out, please ensure you:
- email email@example.com and introduce yourself (name, age) so that we can setup a time for you to come out.
- bring to the session a signed waiver form (for club insurance purposes)
- read the Things to Bring to Practice in the FAQ section below and come to the session prepared (e.g., an extra change of clothes is a must in case you fall into the water)
NEW PADDLERS: New paddlers are welcome anytime!
If you’re a new paddler (regardless of your age), please first sign up for Intro to Paddling – Fundamentals and Foundations. From there, we will help you acquire initial skills and balance and build from there with the intention of getting you up to speed with your training age group.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re unsure about how to join and if you have any questions about how to get started! If you’re joining mid-season, please contact email@example.com to ensure you have all the latest program details and the prorated program rate.
Our sport, club, and community is all volunteer run! Whether it be fundraising, officiating at a regatta, helping with grants, etc., we need parents to contribute a minimum of 15 hours this season to help the team out. A list of volunteer positions will be posted shortly!
Tentative 2020 regatta schedule can be viewed here: 2020 Events By Age Class
Further details can also be viewed on the CanoeKayakBC website.
Events are also listed on each Age Class’ respective google calendar found in the program links above.
(see Registration Steps below)
See above program links for details on schedule and regatta dates.
Fall/Winter Program Cost (Oct 1 – Mar 31, 2020):
- U10 (under 10 years old on Jan 1st 2020) – $595+gst
- U12 (10 or 11 years old on Jan 1st 2020) – $595+gst
- U14 (12 or 13 years old on Jan 1st 2020) – $895+gst
- U16+ (14 years old or older on Jan 1st 2020) – $995+gst
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for current prorated rates; new paddlers welcome to join anytime
Spring/Summer Program Cost (Apr 1 – Sept 19, 2020):
- U10, U11 (under 11 years old on Jan 1st 2020) – $795+gst
- U12, U13 (11 or 12 years old on Jan 1st 2020) – $895+gst
- U14, U15 (13 or 14 years old on Jan 1st 2020) – $995+gst
- U16+ (15 years old or older on Jan 1st 2020) – $995+gst
- cost will be prorated as needed; new paddlers welcome to join anytime
- Note there has been a slight increase in program fees this season as there has been a significant increase in race fees this year (e.g., from $40 to $60 per racer per regatta). So the increase will help cover this overhead. Don’t worry, this fee is not extra – the program fee above is all you would pay. (BC Summer Games, Nationals, any international regattas would be extra)
- Family 10% Discount (for siblings only) – Use discount coupon code FAMILYPADDLE if registering multiple participants from the same family to receive a 10% discount.
- (applicable for Spring/Summer registration) Volunteer Opt-Out Add-On – Pay an additional $100+gst if you don’t want to volunteer this season. Simply add on the Youth Flatwater Racing Program No Volunteer Add-On option when you register.
Flexible Payment Options:
- Pay in Full (at time of checkout) via Credit Card / Visa Debit / MC Debit
- Pay by Cheque – Bring a cheque with ‘Youth Flatwater – Participant Name(s)‘ written in the memo. Please hand to the coach at practice.
- Pay Later (within 30 days):
- Payment Plan Option – If you need time paying the fees, you can register via this link: https://thriva.activenetwork.com/Reg4/Form.aspx?IDTD=7007642&RF=11910891
- Simply log back into your online account to pay off your balance at: https://thriva.activenetwork.com/MyAccount/Login.aspx?Action=Logoff&Org=falsecreekracing Please ensure the balance is paid in full within 30 days or agreed upon payment schedule.
- Go to: Youth Flatwater Registration
- Either use an existing account if you have one, or choose to register new participants.
- Indicate the number of participants you would like to register.
- Select the appropriate program option.
- Fill out the participant(s) details.
- Review the cart. Submit coupon code FAMILYPADDLE if registering multiple participants from the same family. The code will take a moment to reflect in the cart.
- Proceed to checkout.
- Upon payment, please save the confirmation for your records.
- That’s it! Can’t wait to see you at the club! If you are new, please contact email@example.com and introduce yourself! 🙂 Let us know when you plan on coming out for your first practice!
Frequently Asked Questions
Things to Bring to Practice:
- running shoes for warmup
- paddling shoes / sandals for walking around in from boat shed to dock
- paddling (work out) clothes appropriate for the weather and type of practice (no jeans). See Cold Weather Paddling Clothing Suggestions below for recommendations on clothing when paddling in colder weather.
- additional clothes for changing into afterwards
- a towel
- water bottle and a snack for afterwards
- if you are attending a trial session: a signed waiver form (for club insurance purposes)
- wristwatch (U14 and up athletes – for timing/managing workouts)
Cold Weather Paddling Clothing Suggestions:
- For the Head: A hat!
- For the Hands: Neoprene Gloves OR Pogies (preferred)
- For the Feet: Neoprene Socks or Slippers (recommend even wearing wool socks underneath for extra warmth)
- For the Body: Thermal baselayers for the top and bottom. The more layers the better! Those neck tubes/scarfs are also great. If it’s raining, a light rain jacket.
This is our first practice, where do we meet?
If this is your first practice, please meet your coach here by the wooden benches. We’ll head over to the canoe and kayak boat shed where we’ll normally meet before practices:
Can I just sign up for specific months? e.g., just June
Unfortunately, no. Our paddling program is just like any other sports program; it is designed to progressively develop the paddlers so each week we are building on prior weeks’ skills. So if you are only signing up for one month, then your kid(s) will not be getting much out of the program. The fundamental paddling skills for sprint canoe/kayak take time to develop and we want to ensure all of the kids in our program have the opportunity to do so.
Our program is also goal-oriented; our kids will set goals for themselves throughout the season. They also participate in a lot of fun regattas, allowing them to continually refine their skills and confidence on the water.
Did I read that correctly? The young kids in the summer program will practice M-F 9-4pm during July-August?
Yes that is correct. This year, during the summer, we will be integrating all the kids into a camp-style program. During this same time, we will be running our CanoeKids and Regatta Ready camps. We did it this way to give the kids in the program more paddling time, and to help the parents out! 🙂
However, in order to be part of the program, it is required that your kid(s) are coming out to practices in the April-June months. If your kid(s) are unable to make those practices, then they will be asked to join the CanoeKids or Regatta Ready camps instead. The reason why is because the Full Season program is a progressive, long-term athlete development program and for kids who are interested in competing. Not for parents just looking for a cheap summer camp option. Our CanoeKids and Regatta Ready camps are very reasonably priced anyways! 🙂
I can’t make all sessions in the week. Can I still sign up?
Yes definitely. We offer multiple sessions a week and while you are encouraged to attend as many as possible in order to get more practice, you are also welcome to make what you can.
Can I try a session before registering?
Yes definitely. Because the sport is so new to most kids, if you are thinking about registering your kids, but not sure if this program is right for them, I highly encourage you to bring your kids out and try out a session before registering. Just let us know so we know you are coming ahead of time.
What is your cancellation policy?
Our cancellation policy is:
– 90% refund of the registration fee if cancelling at least 30 days before the program to cover admin fees.
– less than 30 days is a 75% refund
– less than 14 days, it’s 50%.
– less than 7 days would be 0%.