Join the FCRCC Youth Sprint team! These programs run year long (split into Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter sessions) and are for those who want to learn more advanced paddling skills and try out racing. These racing programs also include summer camp options for the younger age groups!
Intro to Paddling – FUNdamentals & Foundations (New Paddlers, U10, U11) (*ages ~9-11, new paddlers – ages 9 and up)
Junior Racing Development – Training to Train (U14, U15) (*ages ~13-15)
Junior Performance – Training to Compete (U16+) (*ages ~16+)
(see Registration Steps below)
Our Fall/Winter program is geared towards developing paddling skills and improving overall strength and fitness through various cross-training activities in preparation for the upcoming Spring/Summer racing season.
Our Spring/Summer program continues to build fitness and paddling skills (in singles and teamboats) and the athletes compete in a variety of races (locally, provincially and nationally). Summer programs also include the summer camp options for the younger age groups.
Note: Program Ages here are used as a guideline to represent typical athlete pathway in this sport but is not strict. In the end, coaches will put athletes in training groups most appropriate to their current skill level where they will learn the most and build from there.
NEW PADDLERS: New paddlers are welcome anytime!
If you’re a new paddler (regardless of your age), please first sign up for Intro to Paddling – Fundamentals and Foundations. From there, we will help you acquire initial skills and balance and build from there with the intention of getting you up to speed with your training age group.
Please contact email@example.com if you’re unsure about how to join and if you have any questions about how to get started! If you’re joining mid-season, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure you have all the latest program details and the prorated program rate.
(see Registration Steps below)
Spring/Summer Program Cost (June – Sept 30, 2020):
- New Paddlers, U10, U11 (under 11 years old on Jan 1st 2020) –
- U12, U13 (11 or 12 years old on Jan 1st 2020) –
- U14, U15 (13 or 14 years old on Jan 1st 2020) –
- U16+ (15 years old or older on Jan 1st 2020) – $695+gst
- cost will be prorated as needed; new paddlers welcome to join anytime
- Go to: Youth Flatwater Registration
- Either use an existing account if you have one, or choose to register new participants.
- Indicate the number of participants you would like to register.
- Select the appropriate program option.
- Fill out the participant(s) details.
- Review the cart.
- Proceed to checkout.
- Upon payment, please save the confirmation for your records.
- That’s it! Can’t wait to see you at the club! If you are new, please contact email@example.com and introduce yourself! 🙂 Let us know when you plan on coming out for your first practice!
Frequently Asked Questions
Things to Bring to Practice:
- running shoes for warmup
- paddling shoes / sandals for walking around in from boat shed to dock
- paddling (work out) clothes appropriate for the weather and type of practice (no jeans). See Cold Weather Paddling Clothing Suggestions below for recommendations on clothing when paddling in colder weather.
- additional clothes for changing into afterwards
- a towel
- water bottle and a snack for afterwards
- if you are attending a trial session: a signed waiver form (for club insurance purposes)
- wristwatch (U14 and up athletes – for timing/managing workouts)
Cold Weather Paddling Clothing Suggestions:
- For the Head: A hat!
- For the Hands: Neoprene Gloves OR Pogies (preferred)
- For the Feet: Neoprene Socks or Slippers (recommend even wearing wool socks underneath for extra warmth)
- For the Body: Thermal baselayers for the top and bottom. The more layers the better! Those neck tubes/scarfs are also great. If it’s raining, a light rain jacket.
This is our first practice, where do we meet?
If this is your first practice, please meet your coach here by the wooden benches. We’ll head over to the canoe and kayak boat shed where we’ll normally meet before practices:
Can I just sign up for specific months? e.g., just June
Unfortunately, no. Our paddling program is just like any other sports program; it is designed to progressively develop the paddlers so each week we are building on prior weeks’ skills. So if you are only signing up for one month, then your kid(s) will not be getting much out of the program. The fundamental paddling skills for sprint canoe/kayak take time to develop and we want to ensure all of the kids in our program have the opportunity to do so.
Our program is also goal-oriented; our kids will set goals for themselves throughout the season. They also participate in a lot of fun regattas, allowing them to continually refine their skills and confidence on the water.
I can’t make all sessions in the week. Can I still sign up?
Yes definitely. We offer multiple sessions a week and while you are encouraged to attend as many as possible in order to get more practice, you are also welcome to make what you can.
What is your cancellation policy?
Our cancellation policy is:
– 90% refund of the registration fee if cancelling at least 30 days before the program to cover admin fees.
– less than 30 days is a 75% refund
– less than 14 days, it’s 50%.
– less than 7 days would be 0%.