With the acquired balance and fundamentals from our Introduction to Paddling Course, the Intro to Racing program focuses on stroke refinement and racing development so that paddlers can start building up their boat speed and stroke efficiency on the water and participate in regattas.
- FCRCC Introduction to Paddling Course or equivalent
Goals for the course include
- Introduction to the sport, its history, and the sub-disciplines
- Learning equipment care and handling
- Acquiring fundamental balance
- Learning proper paddling positioning and posture
- Learning basic boat control
- Learning stroke foundations
- Paddling outside of Alder Bay in a sprint boat
- Improved paddling fitness
- Regular team events
- Make some new friends and have fun!
Practice dates and times
April 1 – Sept 21, 2024
2x/wk – schedule to be confirmed
Plus various weekend regatta opportunities.
Things to Bring to Practice
- Paddling shoes/sandals for walking around from boat shed to the dock
- Paddling clothes appropriate for the weather
- Additional clothes for changing into afterwards
- A towel
- Water bottle
- Your own PFD (or you can borrow one to use from the club)
- Please try and arrive 15 min prior to practice time ready to go in your paddling gear so that we can start right on time.
- Please meet on the grass area outside of the canoe/kayak shed.